Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help regarding thyristor triggering

Status
Not open for further replies.

sribalaji

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need to control the ac power using two back to back thyristors. I've developed the code for the gate pulses and i need to design the triggerig circuit. Could anyone direct me to some useful websites that deals with practical triggering circuit?

I've referred some text books but I am not able to fully comprehend its working. Are UJT and pulse transformer triggering circuits viable? Or a simple RC triggering circuit is enough? I need to provide pulses only for 2 SCR. Any material regarding the working of these circuits would also help.

Thanks for your time.

If it's for AC then consider using a triac. It's two scr's combined into one unit. Triggered at one terminal.

Typical trigger method is through a diac. A neon bulb is often specified as a substitute.

It in turn is triggered by an RC network.

Examine a few light dimmer circuits. Very simple methods might use a carefully calculated resistor network to trigger the triac.

https://www.circuitstoday.com/modified-lamp-dimmer-circuit

"Code for the gate pulses" suggests a microcontroller interface. Most simple method would be an opto triac, it can work for thyristors as well. Unfortunately you'll lose part of the dV/dt strength that thyristors have in contrast to triacs. A pulse transformer is the more rugged method, it can be driven through a transistor output stage. UJTs are a simple means to generate trigger pulses. You don't need it, if the µC generates the pulses.

Status
Not open for further replies.