Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me with a circuit (audio relay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sinkplaat

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Audio relay alternative

Hi,

I have a circuit that needs to switch the audio between a telephone headset and the telephone into an effects circuit. When the circuit has no power, the unit needs to switch the headset back to the phone, bypassing the effects unit by default.

I'm currently using relays as shown below, but the current drain from the coils are unacceptably high, could anyone suggest an alternative?

Thanks,

Re: Audio relay alternative

Do it in silicon :D

Try www.fairchildsemi.com or para.maxim-ic.com look for audio switches :D

There're also many other providers of these ICs.

Design your own circuit :D

ep20k

Audio relay alternative

Thanks, I've used silicon audio switches before, but as I stated above, I need the switch to conduct in the normally closed state when NO POWER is available, silicon switches would not.

What is the amont of current in your application?

ep20k

I have used in some project optically isolated MOSFET relays which is normally closed (depletion fet).
I am not sure how they perform in an audio application
You need about 3 mA for the LED.
Panasonic is one manufacture http://pewa.panasonic.com/pcsd/product/pmos/index.html
But there are other ones also.

Perhaps you can use a combination of enhancement and depletions FET's for the switch function and skip the MOSFET relay.

jzo777n said:
I have used in some project optically isolated MOSFET relays which is normally closed (depletion fet).
I am not sure how they perform in an audio application
You need about 3 mA for the LED.
Panasonic is one manufacture http://pewa.panasonic.com/pcsd/product/pmos/index.html
But there are other ones also.

Perhaps you can use a combination of enhancement and depletions FET's for the switch function and skip the MOSFET relay.

Excellent :D

Never heard of these bugs. Helped me! I gave you 7 points :D

ep20k

You could use bistable relay instead. Current is needed only to change state of relay. Capacitor can store energy needed for switching and current required by system would be negligable.

For example: **broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.