Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me start an ARM/DSP project

Status
Not open for further replies.

rabin2801

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi i want to do dsp project on micro-controller ?
what should i chose ARM or DSP chip by TI or other?
if ARM then plz clear the chip no,programming tool(Hardware & Software)..
& if dsp kit like c6713dsk then also..
bt i think c6713 is tooo costly..
i want to know abot some low cost(for development ) ARM chip.?
and basic signal processing application on it like FIR filter,...
please help..

Re: ARM dsp project help

hi i want to do dsp project on micro-controller ?
what should i chose ARM or DSP chip by TI or other?
if ARM then plz clear the chip no,programming tool(Hardware & Software)..
& if dsp kit like c6713dsk then also..
bt i think c6713 is tooo costly..
i want to know abot some low cost(for development ) ARM chip.?
and basic signal processing application on it like FIR filter,...
please help..

Your choice depends on the complexity of the DSP algorithms in your application. The more complex the DSP algorithms, the more practical using a DSP chip.

If you can elaborate on your projects tasks, I maybe able to make a recommendation as to a specific platform.

By the way, a third option would be a FPGA, where you can combine a softcore cpu and custom dsp blocks all implemented in the FPGA.

FPGA Dev Boards range in price from $100 to several $1000 depending on the project requirements.

A good starter FPGA board:

An interesting STM32/MATLAB Simulink Combo: FiO-Std with RapidSTM32

DSP chip based dev board tend to be in the higher range, as you well know. Choosing an appropriate DSP based board is very dependent on its application.

As I previously mentioned, if you can be more specific on your intend projects task, a more definitive recommendation can be made.

BigDog

Reactions: rabin2801

rabin2801

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
    V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Your choice depends on the complexity of the DSP algorithms in your application. The more complex the DSP algorithms, the more practical using a DSP chip.

If you can elaborate on your projects tasks, I maybe able to make a recommendation as to a specific platform.

By the way, a third option would be a FPGA, where you can combine a softcore cpu and custom dsp blocks all implemented in the FPGA.

FPGA Dev Boards range in price from $100 to several $1000 depending on the project requirements.

A good starter FPGA board:

An interesting STM32/MATLAB Simulink Combo: FiO-Std with RapidSTM32

DSP chip based dev board tend to be in the higher range, as you well know. Choosing an appropriate DSP based board is very dependent on its application.

As I previously mentioned, if you can be more specific on your intend projects task, a more definitive recommendation can be made.

BigDog
Thank u for ur reply.
first of all before this i write dsp algos in PC(Matlab)..no hardware
and i am interested on both arm and FPGA..and C6713dsk
in my college FPGA & c6713 kit is available
and i want buy a small ARM developement kit..to run small dsp algo like FIR filter,conv etc...is it possible?
that's why i want to know first is ARM a dsp processor..?
which ARM vendor is good(ti/NXP/ATMEL)?
how to programme?(Available C?)
some demo programme in c..
is our mobile phones or music players run on ARM..only or FPGA based system..?
thankx..i am a beginner in dsp using hardware..help me

...and i want buy a small ARM developement kit..to run small dsp algo like FIR filter,conv etc...is it possible?

Yes it is possible to implement a FIR filter using an ARM. Of course, the feasibility of the implementation depends on the specification of the FIR filter.

that's why i want to know first is ARM a dsp processor..?

Technically No. However, some ARM do have instructions and special hardware features which allow them to perform some Digital Signal Processing tasks.

which ARM vendor is good(ti/NXP/ATMEL)?

They all have their strengths and weaknesses. The end application determines which is better for the task.

how to programme?(Available C?)

All ARM variants have C compilers available, many are free and open source distributions. Some even have MATLAB Simulink toolboxes which generate the code for the device, like the FiO-Std with RapidSTM32 I mentioned previously.

some demo programme in c..

Most manufactures of ARMs provide numerous sample code and appnotes to support their devices.

is our mobile phones or music players run on ARM..only or FPGA based system..?

I believe most current smart phones use a combination of both ARM and ASIC/FPGA. Although I could be wrong, Cell Phone design is not my area of expertise. I do know that most of the Android development kit incorporate either an ARM or OMAP or both, so I assume the actual signal processing is accomplished with an ASIC, DSP or FPGA device.

If you care to pursue DSP design, I believe the choice of a FPGA dev board would give you the most versatility and performance for the cost.

Hope these help answer your questions.

Last edited:
i think omap3 dm3730 is good for you, it will be very popular in next two years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back