Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me solve the conflict between GPRS and GSM

Status
Not open for further replies.

ragabs

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
GSM VS GPRS

DEAR ALL
CAN ANY ONE HELP ME TO REMOVE THE CONFILCT I HAVE BETWEEN GPRS AND GSM

THANX IN ADVANCE

Re: GSM VS GPRS

GSM is a modulation technique (after the name Guass)
i.e. it is a method of communication and coding/recovering the signals

Global System for Mobile, an international standard for mobile phones

GPRS General Packet Radio Service
Mobile data service available for GSM mobile phones

it is usually being used for internet based protocols (packet based)

so GSM is the main and GPRS is the child object

GPRS is....

Hello ragabs,

I'm confused abiut your question :)
Well, GPRS is one part of the GSM technology using by the user to transmit the data over their cellphone
Ussually this technology offering us the speed about 15 kbps - 144 kbps theoriticly
In the reality, we just can sent the data in a slow speed

:D

look my friend here i will assume that you have the minimum knowledge about GSM, any way in GSM we used to have a very low bitrate about 13 kbps and we used a circuit switched tech. but after that user started to need some applications on thier mobiles on their mobiles so we added a new service called GPRS to the mobile in which the user instead of using only one time slot to send his data he will be able to use up to 7 time slots (theoretically) and 4 time slots (practically) so his bit rate will be up to about 40 kbps also we used packet switched tech. to send the data ( you know where ever we have data we have packet switched) and to be able to control that packet data we have to add some blocks in the core network so added some switching devices and a gate way to communicate to the internet or any packet switched based network anyway this is a very abstracted introduction for GPRS of course this is not enough if you are trying to fully understand GPRS i think you will need any reference about GPRS

i hope this is what you are looking for.

GSM VS GPRS

Thanks cabone:
That was helpful. But what I wanted to know was, whether GPRS data is transmitted over TCH or other control channels available in GSM. Which logical channel of GSM is used for GPRS?
Can u refer me to any good article on GPRS.

M

GSM VS GPRS

Actually GPRS was introduced to make GSM users enjoy the data services
By introducing GPRS followed by EDGE tech, operator wanna make users
more comfortable using data services which will be handled by new 3G system

As we know that in 3G we can get a faster data rate than in GPRS or EDGE
GSM 2G
GPRS 2.5G
EDGE 2.75G

WCDMA 3G

Hope all this will help you guys

Best Regards,

magnetra said:
Thanks cabone:
That was helpful. But what I wanted to know was, whether GPRS data is transmitted over TCH or other control channels available in GSM. Which logical channel of GSM is used for GPRS?
Can u refer me to any good article on GPRS.

M

Dear magnetra

GPRS data is transmitted using TCH,which is just a normal physical channel dedicated for traffic,the traffic channel is booked for GPRS by two ways;either on demand or dedicated
if it is on demand that means that the TCH is free for the use of either the voice(GSM or either the data(GPRS)according to the traffic volume of voice and data at the cell
if it is dedicated that means that the TCH is dedicated for the use of data only and not available to voice at all.
Also GPRS has control channels as in GSM and it uses it,if these control channels aren't available at the cell ,control channels of GSM may be used instead such as BCCH,PCH,RACH,SACCH

Best Regards
Ibrahim Sayed

WHT YAAR,

GSM IS STANDS FOR GLOBAD SYSTEM FOR MOBILE.

GPRS IS STANDS FOR GENERAL PACKET RADIO SERVICE.

GSM IS TECHNIQUE BY WHICH MOBILE IS WORKING IT USE GMSK MODULATION HAVE FREQUENCY BAND B/W 890 MHZ TO 915 MHZ.

EACH SERVICE PROVIDER GOT 4.2 MHZ FREQUENCY BAND.WITHIN THIS BAND ONLY HE HAS TO WORK.

DATA RATE OF GSM SYSTEM IS 270.833 KBPS.

GPRS IS PACKET SWITCHING TECHNOLOGY USE TO GO ON INTERNET FROM MOBILE.

FOR MORE HELP MAIL ME AT JASMINE_DOSHI34@YAHOO.COM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back