Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me get batteries for PC and signal conditioning board that will work for 3 mths

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willykilly

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
battery requirement

I need a battery system to power a PC and a signal conditioning board continuosly for 3 months I do not know the power requirement of signal processing board, it takes 200mA @ 15V. Can anyone suggest a battery for the system.
Thanks.

battery requirement

What is your exact requirment?
Do you want to run your PC and Signal conditioning board continuosly for three months.
Are you going to charge this battery inbetween or it will just get discharge for three months?
Please give me details for your requirment so I can help you.

Re: battery requirement

Willykilly said:
I need a battery system to power a PC and a signal conditioning board continuosly for 3 months I do not know the power requirement of signal processing board, it takes 200mA @ 15V. Can anyone suggest a battery for the system. Thanks.
Batteries usually comes in multiples of 1.2 volts or 2 volts. Thus getting exact 15volts is a bit tricky. Anyways you may use any nearest voltage possible. Ok..as you say 200ma, naturally it should be for an hour, now Multiply it by 24 (hours) x 90 days = 432 Ah is the approx capacity of your battery if you want it to run non stop without charging the batteries.
Cheers

pranam77 said:
... = 432 Ah is the approx capacity of your battery if you want it to run non stop without charging the batteries.
Cheers

And that is without the power for the PC. I think the project strategy needs a rethink. If you want to collect data with a battery powered system for 3 months you need an embedded processor system. A custom design could do it with a button cell depending on the system requirements.

Keith

Spidyelectronics said:
What is your exact requirment?
Do you want to run your PC and Signal conditioning board continuosly for three months.
Are you going to charge this battery inbetween or it will just get discharge for three months?
Please give me details for your requirment so I can help you.

Yes, the pc will and signal condditioning will be run for 3 months. The battery will drain out in 3 months, I am not going to change the batteries.

Thanks in advance.

battery requirement

Unless you have a bank of car batteries, you will not be doing it. You need something that takes a lot less power. Even your proposed signal processing board takes far too much power - as pranam77 has calculated - you would need 10 to 15 car batteries for that alone. However, with an embedded processor system you could run for months using a button cell, depending on what you data acquisition requirements are (accuracy, sample rate, voltage range etc).

Keith.

What is the embedded board with a button cell? Can you give more details ? I tried google, I get many irrelevant answers when I try for the embedded board.

Thanks in advance.

battery requirement

My experience is mainly with custom designs. I know a company who makes a data logger for monitoring beer barrels which lasts for ages ona tiny battery. I can try and get you details if you want.

For a ready commercial system, look for low power "data loggers". Something like this http://www.campbellsci.co.uk/index.cfm?id=1043 takes around 0.6mA in sleep mode and then the current drain depends on how frequently you scan.

There are plenty of CPU cards around based on the PC/104 bus which you can use to make a system. A lot will run standard operating systems, I think. Have a look here: http://www.pc104.com/

Otherwise you will find all sorts of miniature microcontroller based products around which you could use to base your design that are far more likely to be able to operate for 3 months on a battery than a PC. First you need to define your data sampling and storage requirements.

Keith.

Status
Not open for further replies.