Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me develop Modbus protocol using RS485 based BUS

Status
Not open for further replies.

volta

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Designing RS-485 bus

Needed help in develeping modbus protocal using RS_485 BASED BUS.

Re: Designing RS-485 bus

which programmation langage used??

hi,

are you going to develop a polling program for pc? or are you going to develop device that equip with modbus protocol?

for the first one is eazy, basically you can try modbus ocx from wi**ercom. (*=t) its eazy. or if you know how to write comm. program, then you only need to refer to modbus protocol manual, can be downloaded from www.modbus.org. and use the appropriote function in you application. i'm only use two fucntion, a poll and write function.

if you need to develop embedded device with modbus, i think these is some difficulty. there is some chip equip with modbus protocol. if you need to design it from baginning, then you need to refer to the standard.

wisely

Designing RS-485 bus

Hi Volta

Actually, Modbus is a very simple protocol to implement once you get past the 3.5 character delay timers. In an embedded system, it is even simpler since you have direct control over your timers.

Are you designing a Master or a Slave? Accordingly, the complexity changes.

As wisely77 suggested, www.modbus.org has the complete manual. I do not agree with using only two functions. If you are writing something that should communicate with a generic Modbus slave, then you should support all the functions since many slaves support different types of read and write functions. Problem is mostly with the write functions since Modbus supports two different types of write functions.

Ajay

Go to the MAXIM homepage. There is lot of info for RS422/485
search for MAX485

Designing RS-485 bus

you can study by
h**p://www.modbus.org/modbus/standMbusLibrary.nsf/fa_libsearch?OpenForm#

Status
Not open for further replies.