Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] help making this power supply .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stonexage

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello guys .
I want to make dual polarity power supply , +/- ( 5v, 9v, 12)
I draw this circuit (below) in eagle and i want your help with it , please tell me if it will work and any additions , editing will be great .
the parts i already have so i will be using , 12vac, 1amp Center tapped transformer
4 diodes , Two 4700uF caps
Fixed voltage regulators , 7805, 7809 , 7812 , 7905 , 7909 , 7912
i have seen couple designs using variable voltage regulators , but i want to use these fixed regulators and test them .

I’d add 0.1uF bypass caps at each voltage regulator input and output (mounted as close to ICs as possible), 10uF tantalum caps at all outputs and LEDs with resistors at all outputs to indicate health of all voltages ..

Rgds,
IanP

Stonexage

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
thanks Ianp , for replying , :D
but what is the 10uf capacitors do , and in this way they will be in series with the others (,1uf) , !!!
i tried to simulate this circuit on Proteus ( just started learning it ) , but its not showing any volts on the outputs , please if you can tell me the exact way (in Proteus ) to wire the transformer with the 220 volt ac and , and other tips will be great ,
thanks again ,

Hmm,
its not a wonder, because the circuit is wrong!
D3/D4 anodes are direct to to the In-bus of all negative(79xx) regulators to connect and feed D1/D2 cathodes to de In-bus of all positive (78xx) regulators!
Than the 4700uFs are parallel with the inputs of both groupe of regulators to connect!
C2 +pole on the ins of 78xx regulators, the C2 minus on the GND, as C1 +too!
but C1 -pole connect to the 79xx regulators In-bus.
To finish build on all outputs individual (right polarized) a smaller Alu electrolytic i.e. 100uF, dont forget on all in/out pins (12pcs) a 100nF ceramics to apply.....
I checked yet, that JanP wrote over 10 uF Tantals + LEds; I find it as good Idea too.
Good luck!
K.

Stonexage

thanks for replying , karesz

i know the circuit is wrong , and i want to know how to fix it .
i added the capacitors to the input/output , but about this

D3/D4 anodes are direct to to the In-bus of all negative(79xx) regulators to connect and feed D1/D2 cathodes to de In-bus of all positive (78xx) regulators!
Than the 4700uFs are parallel with the inputs of both groupe of regulators to connect!
C2 +pole on the ins of 78xx regulators, the C2 minus on the GND, as C1 +too!
but C1 -pole connect to the 79xx regulators In-bus.

please if you can explain More what exactly i should do so it will work , i tried many things but no luck till now .

thanks for your time guys .

Hi,
so was (cca.) our idea with IanP...
K.

Stonexage

thanks karesz , appreciate it man .
i will test it on Proteus today , but it sounds working anyway .
BTW , what program did you use to draw it , seems great one .
again , thanks a lot .

Hi,
:)
It was drowed on PCAD, but as CAD schema is not correct because all the components/symboles to create needs more time as I yet have.
So I drowe the most symboles as simples easy and not electrivcally correct, means, it dont has netlist, is not loadable into a PCB... Only optically is OK.
K.

Stonexage

thanks , karesz .
I see what you mean , but its great schema " optically "
BTW , if you know Proteus , do you know how to set the value of the Transformer so it will simulate well.

Hi + tnx!
No, Im sorry I dont know (I heard over that_ok) & I dont have it.
For somebody (from Edaboard) I did some time ago download a demo + found out the "Polygon cut outing": these is all what I specially know of that...
Did you realized the 6x power supplies pls?
K.

Hi karesz , sorry for late reply .
its ok , i figure it out , and yes i realized them .
Thanks a lot for your help .
TC

Hi TC,
Fein!
Than you can do build lot of circuits :), good progress!
Dont forget, their are not overload/short proof_need overall heat sinks + i.e. fuses too!
Regards!
K.

hi, i'm a new guy, can you mention the price and type of transformators used for 220vac

Status
Not open for further replies.