Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help for Caloriemeter for a treadmill

Status
Not open for further replies.

0killingsoul0

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am making a calorimeter for a treadmill. The formula for calories burnt by a person includes:

1) Sex
2) Weight
3) Speed
4) Time of running

Can somebody help me to chalk out a way to do it with 8051 microcontroller. I mean how will input weight from user. How to count/record the time a person walked?

Speed input is not a problem because i am setting my self the speed through microcontroller so no need of speed input. Thanks.

Last edited:

Do you search just a calc for this or you need some circuit ?

Sorry i didn't get you.

---------- Post added at 22:03 ---------- Previous post was at 22:02 ----------

Do you search just a calc for this or you need some circuit ?

No i am talking about somoe way to program microcontroller.

you can plan a small microcomputer, something like:

a microcontroller: 8051 family as you liked

a data display: maybe a common alphanumeric LCD, or some simple 7-segment displays.... (or something more sophisticated)

a data input: some push buttons or even a small keypad (3x3 seems enough) for gender selection, and weight input

a process sensor: mmm you need a rotary encoder. it will give pulses for each turn, and you attach at some part of your treatmill... as faster it will go, it will generate more and more pulses, if you count the pulses, it will be directly proportional to your total length... if you count the pulses every seccond it will give the speed at the given seccond.... (of course by mechanican design you need to apply a constant factor to get your speed in m/s and not in pulses/s)

as your treadmill doesn't move, i wouldn't plan for a battery-powered circuit and even a permanent memory for the data. just a regulated 5V and the internal RAM of the micro will do the job.

post here if you need further help. but don't expect that anyone will do your job, just help.

in 1976 I did this with a $10 LCD calculator interfaced to a cycle switch to the calc "=" switch and using the number of calories desired to burn off. It then used a stored number of cal. to substract on each "=" It was all interfaced to the calc to a small box with 1" LED digits. They weren't really invented then, but you can reverse engineer any existing units today to get the UX idea then figure how to program it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back