Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help deciding which uC to use

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwwq

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to have a light switch respond to an sms. For this purpose I am using a SIM300 GSM Module to receive sms. Now I have to interface it with a microcontroller to read the sms and take actions accordingly. So please suggest which microcontroller should I use and also the programmer associated with it. Ease of programming is preferred. And if some development boards allow debugging then it is preferred too. Also I have another question. Does the uC have to support AT Commands or is it that all uC are capable of generating these commands ?

MikroElektronika do dev boards and easy to use compilers. AT commands are simply an ASCII protocol for a serial connection to modems and similar equipment, any micro with a serial capability will be able to do it with the right programming.

can i use arduino boards ?

hi qwwq,

yes you can use Arduino boards without any problem.
In general you can use any microcontroller which has a h/w UART or which is able to implement a software UART

Here are some references which might be helpful to you on using Arduino...

Using SIM300 + Arduino board : https://abishaisingh.wordpress.com/2012/06/03/gsm-modem-sim-300-sending-text-sms-arduino/

Using a different GSM module + Arduino, but I think AT commands and other techniques should be much similar... I've built this one and it works well!
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

@per_lube
thanks a ton for those interesting articles. gonna check them asap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back