Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

H-Bridge - should a maximum of 5 V appear across the load?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adilmahsan

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
H-Bridge

I wanted to know a little about h-bridge... lets say i made one using 4 npn transistors... the switching voltage at the base of each transistor is 5 V and 50 volts are at the collectors of the upper transistors

Now, as the upper two are in emitter follower configurations, shouldnt a maximum of 5 V appear across the load?

H-Bridge

Yes, it would be the case, if you assume a ground referenced control voltage for the high side switches.
But a H-bridge doesn't work this way. It involves some kind of level shifter or isolated driver.

Re: H-Bridge

you can use darligton pairs in driving or optocouplers to drive transistor to isolate input control signal from the high side.
if you are building a small H-bridge circuit you might not need an isolation system but remember to add a current limiting resistor on the transistors base.
also i recommend you L298 IC, it is a dual H-bridge with maximum current up to 2A for the IC.
good luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back