Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

h bridge design, technical question about transistors

Status
Not open for further replies.

weeb0

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
h bridge transistors

Hello,

I'm about to build an H bridge for a buzzer.

I find the following circuit very interesting, but I will not use the opto-coupler.

I was wondering why the pnp transistor were at the top ? I build one from myself and I putted the pnp at the bottom of the circuit...

Do somebody can explain me if there is any advantage for each placement of the pnp / npn transistor ?

thank you a lot!
[/url]

h bridge design

weeb0 said:
Hello,

I'm about to build an H bridge for a buzzer.

I find the following circuit very interesting, but I will not use the opto-coupler.

I was wondering why the pnp transistor were at the top ? I build one from myself and I putted the pnp at the bottom of the circuit...

Do somebody can explain me if there is any advantage for each placement of the pnp / npn transistor ?

thank you a lot!
[/url]

hey.

I dont what your question is exactly .. but i know from experience that placing those transistors the wrong way you will easily cook the circuilt ... why are you building a H-brigde from descrete components anyways ... i would suggest you get the LM293D H Bridge IC. it is the exact same thing as the circuit you show exept it is capable of controlling two motors.

transistor h bridge

If you put pnp at bottom and npn at top (and appropriately swap there biasing through opto-couplers),

1) Just think what would be the voltages at the motor terminals during operation.
2) Think what would happen to your switch resistances. (Do they act like a switch and would they be able to operately easily in the required regions).

Hope that helps.

h bridge with npn pnp transistor

weeb0,
PNP transistors are used in the "top" of a bridge, so that they can be driven without the use of a separate power supply for the drive. If NPNs were used on top, then they would have to be used in the emitter follower configuration which necessitates a supply voltage more positive thatn the bridge power. Also, you would always have a Vbe drop inherent in the emitter follower configuration.
Regards,
Kral

Status
Not open for further replies.