Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

GreenPAK Programmable Mixed-Signal Matrix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jadeit

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Does anyone have practical experience with programmable circuits from dialoc semiconductor, for examaple SLG46826.
I came across them looking for something small that could replace a couple of 74xxxx circuits
On the one hand, it fascinated me as a small cheap solution, on the other hand
- I did not figure out how to find out from the design software what is the delay of the signals in the drawn circuit
- it is programmed after I2C, unfortunately I did not find an I2C programmer who would program it and I don't want to add a seat from them. It would be appropriate to support something with CH341
In short, is someone using it and what is your experience?

Hi,

sadly I hve no experience with these parts.

I came across them looking for something small that could replace a couple of 74xxxx circuits
74xx parts are logice gates. But the above mentioned device is mixed signal, meaning: analog + digital.

--> For a purely digital / logic replacement I recommend CPLDs.

Klaus

CPLD was the first thing that came to my mind, I have a Xilinx programmer, and I used it once.
Unfortunately, it occurs to me that xilinx has terminated CPLDs.
If there is anything on offer at all, it is a sale of old CPLDs in large cases at relatively high prices.
Similar to software, Xilinx ISE ended 7 years ago and the new Vivaldy may not be supported by the older IC Xilinx.

Similar to software, Xilinx ISE ended 7 years ago and the new Vivaldy may not be supported by the older IC Xilinx.
But some older ver of ISE are still available from Xilinx website to download.
You have to find out the correct ISE ver for the CPLD in question.

Hi,
Unfortunately, it occurs to me that xilinx has terminated CPLDs.
Some are still in production...

Klaus

You might look at Cypress PSOC. It has mixed signal, gates, MSI, functions like PWM, Timers, LUT, etc
thru analog A/D, D/A, OpAmps, analog muxes, Vref, PGA.....DSP with a wizard to config for filters.

A catalog of its components ( in PSOC nomenclature a component is an on chip resource), attached.

It also has ARM core, but you can do codeless logic only designs with it as well.

Tool simple drag and drop and right click to config component. If you need to change component
parameters during runtime then you code using its ARM and a pile of APIs for each component to
manipulate it. PSOC Creator and its compiler free. You wire up with tool, internally and to pins.

Some of the example onchip components -

1622649835130.png

1622649855129.png

Boards range from $ 10 (used most) to full I/O boards $ 35 and above.

Program/debug done thru USB port on board.

1622650009192.png

Regards, Dana.

Attachments

• Component List (2).pdf
    278.5 KB · Views: 78

Does anyone have practical experience with programmable circuits from dialoc semiconductor, for examaple SLG46826.
On the one hand, it fascinated me as a small cheap solution, on the other hand
- I did not figure out how to find out from the design software what is the delay of the signals in the drawn circuit
- it is programmed after I2C, unfortunately I did not find an I2C programmer who would program it and I don't want to add a seat from them. It would be appropriate to support something with CH341
In short, is someone using it and what is your experience?

I too have been quite curious about these and glad to see that there is at least a single post on this forum regarding the greenPAK devices (This thread literally the only result for the search term).

These seem to be in a different class than any other logic/mixed signal device due to their small size, low power, and very limited capability, however I have identified them as likely the only possible solution for a design that I am working on.

FYI you can program them with their board which is very cost effective, and I am pleased to find that the board has a socket header so that you can connect a socket for any variant of these devices. The board allows you to emulate a design in the device without actually burning the OTP, and what I have just learned is even more pleasing - You can make real time changes to the design, while in Emulation "sync" mode, and there is no need to keep re-flashing or restarting debug mode. Very efficient. This has allowed me to move around connections to external pins while emulating, and probe different parts of a circuit to verify the design externally on a scope/logic analyzer. You can make any changes real-time including adding and connecting additional LUTs, changing their parameters, etc.

What I am now trying to determine is whether the device's supply currents are really as low as are claimed (around 1.12uA Q current per "macrocell", and additional current only consumed during state transitions and such). My power budget is under 800uW and I hope to learn that this device will indeed be suitable as I have exhausted possibilities for microcontrollers within my power budget which can perform the required tasks.

Status
Not open for further replies.