Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

given a arbitrary distribution, can we find out its confidence interval?

Status
Not open for further replies.

W_Heisenberg

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
given a arbitrary distribution, can we find out its confidence interval?

say alpha = 0.95?

Hopefully I'm not patronizing in my interpretation of the question, but I believe I can answer this. The answer is no. This is because a confidence interval is a function of a particular sample from a population. So, different samples taken from the same population can have different confidence intervals.

However, given a description of a distribution, I believe it is possible to find equations which would determine the confidence interval corresponding to a sample from a population assumed to have the said distribution.

In other words:

Code:
Distribution  ===> Confidence interval

doesn't have enough information.

But:

Code:
   Assumed Distribution  ===> Hard math work
      /\                         ||
      ||                         \/
Population ===> Sample  ===> Equations  ===> Confidence interval

I think describes my understanding of what has to happen to get a confidence interval. Perhaps there is a little too much magic in the "Hard math work" step, but I think this answers the question-as-asked. If anyone statistics guru disagrees, they can blast me into space but, I'd prefer a more gentle correction :).

yes, I finally figure this out.

You are right.

Hopefully I'm not patronizing in my interpretation of the question, but I believe I can answer this. The answer is no. This is because a confidence interval is a function of a particular sample from a population. So, different samples taken from the same population can have different confidence intervals.

However, given a description of a distribution, I believe it is possible to find equations which would determine the confidence interval corresponding to a sample from a population assumed to have the said distribution.

In other words:

Code:
Distribution  ===> Confidence interval

doesn't have enough information.

But:

Code:
   Assumed Distribution  ===> Hard math work
      /\                         ||
      ||                         \/
Population ===> Sample  ===> Equations  ===> Confidence interval

I think describes my understanding of what has to happen to get a confidence interval. Perhaps there is a little too much magic in the "Hard math work" step, but I think this answers the question-as-asked. If anyone statistics guru disagrees, they can blast me into space but, I'd prefer a more gentle correction :).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back