Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Getting Code (or Bit Code) of an Altera Max 7000 series chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

happs

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear forum members!

If I have lost source code of a project and still have access to my CPLD (which has the code loaded) , the CPLD is an Altera MAX (7128 series chip) is there anyway I can:

i) Get Back the Source Code of my project?
ii) Or just Manage to 'replicate' this to another same model 7128 CPLD without getting the code, thereby giving the cloned CPLD to my teacher for project submission?
iii) I've been told there is a 'security bit' on these devices, if that is set while programming, code can never be retrieved, is that ON by default?

if i) or ii) is possible please let me know which software is required for it

Thank a lot!!! (in advance)

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Getting Code (or Bit Code) of an @ltera Max 7000 series chip

Hello happs,

i) IMO you will never get back the source code because this one isn’t stored. The device holds information about the organisation of the macrocells and not the source code!
ii) Yes you can read out the MAX device if the locked bit isn’t set. Just use the programming option “Examine”. After that you can store the pof-File on HDD and use it for programming another one.
iii) The security bit isn’t on at default.

Good luck,
cube007

Re: Getting Code (or Bit Code) of an Altera Max 7000 series

thank you very much for your prompt response

few more questions please

i) the programming option “Examine”; in which IDE is this available? I think Altera offers two softwares (Quartus II & MAX+PLUS II)
https://www.altera.com/products/devices/max7k/utilities/m7k-software.html

Or is it any third-party product?

ii) is there anyway to find out if the security bit is set or not?

thanks in advance :)

Regards

happs

Getting Code (or Bit Code) of an @ltera Max 7000 series chip

Hello happs,

i) I definitely know that it’s available in Quartus. I think this option must be in MAX+Plus II too. Just take the software you used for development or did you lost the software too? :)
ii) IMO if you get an error message or if all of examined data has the same value than the lock bit is set. Until now I never checked this.

cu,
cube007

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back