Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FTDI FT232H interfacing with FPGA

Status
Not open for further replies.

ab138110

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi I need my FPGA to send and receive data from a PC at fast speeds.
I was planning on using a FT232H chip for this job, however a few things are unclear.
As far as I understand it, I would first need to set this chip up for synchronous serial protocol (SPI mode for example). Is this easy to do? How is it done?
Then I would write some VHDL for an interface (SPI for example) between my FPGA and the chip. Does anyone have any good examples?
Then the PC software would use the direct access drivers D2xx to access the USB port and talk to my FPGA. What is the easiest way of doing this? Any good examples?

Thanks for any help, much appreciated.

"a few things" are unclear. ;) Stick to something simpler first so you can do one step at a time? Maybe FT232H + fast mcu first? That way you familiarize yourself with all the fun bits of the FT232 and usb drivers, without the extra hurdle of the fpga. An smt32f4 discovery board has nice fast fifo + dma.

Or maybe just wait until someone with more time comes along to explain those few things... At any rate, read the FT232H datasheet.

Anyways, easiest way to access on the pc side would be to use libusb-1.0. That way you can access your usb goodies from user space (aka no system level drivers required). Or google for ft232 drivers. :p Depends a bit on what you want to do.

How about Parallel / Rs232 interface if our data rate is ~ 1MBps ?
Also keep in mind that 480Mbps for USB is in bust mode. Not consistent.
Ease of implementation depends on your knowledge and skills.
You may get some IP cores / built in blocks for FPGA implementation.
As mrflibble commented, its better to get acquainted and then decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.