Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FT230X. LEDs RX/TX. not flashing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

reza147

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello
We used a FT232RL chip to design USB to RS232 converter. We connected two LED to the 'TXLED#' & 'RXLED#' of the FT232RL.
Whenever we connect this converter to the computer's USB port, Both LEDs flash for 2 or 3 times.
This is correct. (for send and recive, correct flash).

But, when design this converter with FT230X:
If we connect this converter to the computer's USB port, Both LEDs not flash.
LED_TX connected CBUS2 that programmed as TXDEN. LED_RX connected CBUS1 that programmed as RXDEN. (for send and recive, correct flash).

It is very good that the LEDs flash at the very beginning when the converter is connected to the system, because it is a good sign that the converter and connections are safe.

Is this FT230X chip not able to blink when connected to a USB port like a FT232RL chip?

Attachments

• ft230x-flash.png
    ft230x-flash.png
    131.1 KB · Views: 575

Hi,

not sure whethr the LEDs need to flash at power up...

But as far as I see they should work at normal operation.
What exact LEDs did you use? Vendor, partnumber, datasheet.

Klaus

The FT232R datasheet doesn't tell anything about TXLED or RXLED being pulsed at USB connect. Won't expect it's an undocumented feature.

Could it be that your OS tries to identify devices connected to the serial port, e.g. a serial mouse? That's a configurable feature of the serial port (Plug&Play in Windows device manager extended settings).

Hi,

not sure whethr the LEDs need to flash at power up...

But as far as I see they should work at normal operation.
What exact LEDs did you use? Vendor, partnumber, datasheet.

Klaus

Hi Klaus
The LEDs work at normal. Because they blink when sending and receiving.
--- Updated ---

Hi FvM
Yes. The FT232 document does not say anything about flashing lights when connected to USB.

Yes, it be that me OS tries to identify devices connected to the USB port.
But I tested both converters with one type of Windows system, Windows 7. The sending and receiving lights of the FT232RL exchanger always flash when connected. but the lights of the FT230x exchanger do not flash when connected!

How can I access Windows 7 Plug&Play?
The FT232R datasheet doesn't tell anything about TXLED or RXLED being pulsed at USB connect. Won't expect it's an undocumented feature.

Could it be that your OS tries to identify devices connected to the serial port, e.g. a serial mouse? That's a configurable feature of the serial port (Plug&Play in Windows device manager extended settings).

A prerequisite for sending data to the newly attached port by the plug&play function is that the handshake lines are activated. The condition may be different between the tested adapters.

Status
Not open for further replies.