Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Frequency considerations in breadboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectroDes

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Greetings,

I am an Optical Engineer performing some analog circuit design. Specifically, I am simulating a high speed circuit (2-3GHz).. I understand that at low frequency (10MHz or less) one can simply test the design on a breadboard. How can I perform similar tests of such a high speed circuit?

Thank you.

Greetings,

I am an Optical Engineer performing some analog circuit design. Specifically, I am simulating a high speed circuit (2-3GHz).. I understand that at low frequency (10MHz or less) one can simply test the design on a breadboard. How can I perform similar tests of such a high speed circuit?

Thank you.
I’m inclined to agree with danadakk but it depends on what you are trying to do.

oh, you CAN do breadboards at 3 GHz. that is kind of pushing the frequency limit. but can be done.
1st, you need to ONLY use chip components! i.e. chip resistors, chip capacitors, chip inductors, surface mount semiconductors (like an SOT23 package, or leadless chip carrier).

You need a single layer board, with a SOLID GROUND PLANE on the backside. You need to drill thru that board, and run a wire from the ground plane to the topside everywhere you need a local ground. You need to keep lead lengths very short, and keep the layout very compact.

you need a board like this:

IMG_8038.jpg
IMG_8039.jpg

then you can install parts like this:

IMG_8040.JPG
IMG_8041.JPG

the circuit is some sort of bias line i needed for something back in the day. looks like an N=5 Lowpass filter in the upper left corner, the RF and DC combined output in the upper right corner, and the DC input on that loop of wire at the lower edge. If you look closely at the three capacitor chips, you can see where a wire is soldered to the chip, and then goes thru the board to the backside ground plane.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back