Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FR4 in ADS, helps needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

suudlor

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys,

I really need help for my senior project, I'm very clueless.

I'm trying to design a coupled line BPF 0.5 equal-ripple when the order(N)=3, center frequency=2GHz, bandwidth=10%, Zo=50(ohm)
and attenuation at 5 GHz - many of you will find this problem familiar since it's from Pozar's microwave engineering textbook.

here're some calculations.
for N=1; Zoe=70.61 Zoo=39.24
for N=2; Zoe=56.64 Zoo=44.77
for N=3; Zoe=56.64 Zoo=44.77
for N=4; Zoe=70.61 Zoo=39.24

Here's the problem...
I have to use FR-4 substrate with dielectric thickness=1.6mm, dielectric constant=4.5 and conductor thickness=35(micron)

I have to apply all these figures in ADS, I've already used LineCalc functions as I read in some threads here but I'm stuck!

basically, what do I do? which number do I put in which box? and what should be the next required step for me to achieve the final design?

Thank you guys a lot in advance and I'm looking forward to an early reply, since my project depends on this step and I will not be graduated if this is not completed.

Hi guys,

I really need help for my senior project, I'm very clueless.

I'm trying to design a coupled line BPF 0.5 equal-ripple when the order(N)=3, center frequency=2GHz, bandwidth=10%, Zo=50(ohm)
and attenuation at 5 GHz - many of you will find this problem familiar since it's from Pozar's microwave engineering textbook.

here're some calculations.
for N=1; Zoe=70.61 Zoo=39.24
for N=2; Zoe=56.64 Zoo=44.77
for N=3; Zoe=56.64 Zoo=44.77
for N=4; Zoe=70.61 Zoo=39.24

Here's the problem...
I have to use FR-4 substrate with dielectric thickness=1.6mm, dielectric constant=4.5 and conductor thickness=35(micron)

I have to apply all these figures in ADS, I've already used LineCalc functions as I read in some threads here but I'm stuck!

basically, what do I do? which number do I put in which box? and what should be the next required step for me to achieve the final design?

Thank you guys a lot in advance and I'm looking forward to an early reply, since my project depends on this step and I will not be graduated if this is not completed.

Search the web or Agilents site for using Substrates. It will ask for er, and T (thickness).
You should first try to design a 1 Lamda 50 Ohm trace. Here you should see how each
calculation method matches the simulation (hand Calcs, or EDS Tools/Line Cal ...).

Once you get a good 1 lamda 50 Ohm trace start changing each parameter (er ,T, L, W) just to
get a warm fuzzy how each variable effects the circuit.

Next start forming the filter. You should try to work out of your book first, so you can see how
theory/books differ from real world applications/implementation. Then come back with more
specific questions.

Good luck.

Search the web or Agilents site for using Substrates. It will ask for er, and T (thickness).
You should first try to design a 1 Lamda 50 Ohm trace. Here you should see how each
calculation method matches the simulation (hand Calcs, or EDS Tools/Line Cal ...).

Once you get a good 1 lamda 50 Ohm trace start changing each parameter (er ,T, L, W) just to
get a warm fuzzy how each variable effects the circuit.

Next start forming the filter. You should try to work out of your book first, so you can see how
theory/books differ from real world applications/implementation. Then come back with more
specific questions.

Good luck.

Thank you so much.

I will go try that now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back