Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

For shooting flying bugs etc....

Status
Not open for further replies.

thudpucker

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Who has designed a Pistol grip Bug zapper?

We don't want a Laser, that will put out peoples eyes etc.

Some Radio Wave thing would be good with a range up to 10'.....has anybody?:-?

Kill a bug at 10'? That's going to take a lot of energy, or a very focused beam of something. Maybe ultrasonics? Ah, wait, here's the solution:

9232513_1.jpg

My dog eats bugs, if they move. Try an exterminator or be more specific.

I find a vacuum pipe extension most useful even on house flies which can't detect a slow moving quiet wand.

LOL, all good tries.
I'm talking about Red wasp's, Wood boring Bee's, Flies during the day, and all kinds of winged beasts at night.
We have night bugs down here that are as big as Humming birds.

Sitting down in my nice quiet Barn, I'd like to casually gun down any of those Stinging, Biting and Boring insects.
Without dragging a Shop-Vac or Two handed Spraying device (to put a taste in my coffee) to ruin my Sitting time.

I thought of making some Salt loaded Shot for my Co2 Pellet pistol. That'd work just fine. But Radio waves, (like a Seagull flying in front of the Radar Screen) would be good too.

Somewhere I once saw a plastic toy gun which shoots spinning propellers. One or two inch diameter.

There are spray bottles sold, which you can fill with any liquid you want. With practice you can be accurate at ten feet. I have used soapy water on insects.

like a Seagull flying in front of the Radar Screen

An engineer buddy told me about birds which accidentally fly into the tracking beam. They explode in a burst of feathers.

It requires a great deal of power.

On ADAK Island they have that kind of Radar

Naw, I'm just talking about some thing to amuse myself, and reduce the Bug population in my barn.
I'm just not knowledgeable to do it on my own, and wondered if any of you guys had one...Bug Ready!

If you Google "fly swatter gun", you should find things like this, this, this and this, which look ideal. If you can't find any in a local shop, it shouldn't be too hard to make something similar. basically just a rubber band powered dart gun with flyswatter tipped darts.

Insectocutor is a good idea. Lure the bugs into a trap instead of hunting them down. Just be careful not to advertize it outside your 'killing zone' or it will attract more of them to the light.

The radio wave method is a complete non-starter. Radio waves are extremely difficult to focus into a narrow beam unless you use a large dish and the diameter is related to the radio wavelenth so you are forced to use microwaves. For your gun, think of something the size of a microwave oven mounted at the focal point of a satellite dish. Try pulling that out of a holster when a bug flies by.:laugh:

Brian.

Whatever you shoot, even radio waves (microwaves), might put out somebody's eyes.
Have you ever had your eyes tested for glaucoma (eye pressure)? A little puff of air from a handheld "gun" does it and it is bothersome but it doesn't hurt. Think of a puff strong enough to kill an insect a meter or two away but on somebody's eye. OUCH!!

My city puts larvacide in ponds and drains. It is safe for animals and birds but it killed all the mosquitoes and now the bats are also gone somewhere else where there are mosquitoes for them to eat.
We have racoons "flying" around. Nothing will scare them away when they find a full garbage can for dinner.

Hey hey hey, you guys are on the ball.

We had the Bug-Zappers (similar to the Electrocuter) in AK.
It was cute to sit out where the Skeeters wee and listen to the little "errrt" as a Skeeter got into the "Zone" and the bottom of the thing had to be emptied frequently as we have a Plethora of Skeeters up there.

The Chemicals might work. We have tried the Chemicals I can buy legally, but without the success we wanted.
The Badminton Racquet is a great deterrent. Frustrating at times, but it works on the Wood boring Bees. My Grandsons have broken all the Racquet's several times!:p
Hooray for yard sales for producing more material for the wars.

I tried my Air Compressor with a 100Lb blast out of a 1/2" orifice (Barrel) and it did work, sorta, but the victim had to be close.

The Red Wasp's just fly too fast and never Hover. If the Wasp nest is small, you might make a kill, but they all go into 'kill the enemy' mode if you disturb them in the nest.
Running just aint good enough!
So I keep the Wasp and hornet spray handy. That stuff will kill just about everything on the nest as you hit it.

It seems the world has never had this idea that could be made workable.
I guess I'm stuck with refining my Little Shot shell's for my Pellet pistol.

A guy in my band uses some kind of gizmo that consists of a CO2 generator to attract the buggers. Says it works well.

The CO2 thingy uses a propane gas tank something like a gas BBQ. The Mossies smell the CO2 and think it is exhaled by their dinner.

Status
Not open for further replies.