Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fluke 323 Clamp Meter Measure Current in in 20KV line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

i200yrs

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello All...would like to ask, I want to measure a current using Fluke 323. The line have 20KV 500mA capacity....Is it safe that cannot damage the clamp meter? Thanks in advanve.

Hi,

is the 20kV wire properly isolated? If yes, then I see no problem.

If no, then don´t get close to the 20kV at all. Neither with nor without the Fluke
20kV is nothing to play with. It´s lethal.

Klaus

i200yrs

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Besides required safe isolation of the cable, Fluke 323 has 0.1A resolution. Not well suited to measure a current of 0.5A maximal.

i200yrs

Hello All...thanks for the inputs...just an update we are using Fluke 375...we got 8A reading....the power supply got 22.3KV and 8.4KW. So by mathematics the max current should be 377mA only....So something wrong with the load or the supply....Need to check further, really thankful for your inputs....

Hi,

If your high voltage is AC (not DC), then you need to take cos(phi) into account with your true power calculation.

Klaus

i200yrs

Hi,

Then something is wrong. Either voltage measurement, current measurement or power measurement.

Klaus

i200yrs

It could be a true reading but something wrong with our equipment, either our PSU or the load. Because our system detect over current error...The reason i double check the current flow from the psu to the load...thanks

Not sure about your measurement setup. Clamp meter measurements can be only made in a single conductor, not e.g. in a shielded HV cable if the shield is connected at both ends. Clamp meter must be zeroed for accurate DC measurements.

i200yrs

Thanks to all...we found the load (we called it ppm) are the one pulling the current up to 8A. Thanks again for all motivation and inputs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back