Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

First audio electronics project - looking for some reference

Status
Not open for further replies.

lefthandRED

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I am currently studying a Music Technology degree in Scotland. I am building a VCA controlled compressor for my 4th year project and am currently in the research stage.

I have some electronics experience but am learning a lot of the more technical stuff as I go.

What I am looking for just now is a way to make my detector circuit for the control signal to be analysed with. I have looked into true RMS detection and am going for something a little more basic.

Am I right in thinking that if I precision rectify the AC audio signal into a variable DC and then filter out the high frequencies I will be left with a representation of my audio RMS?

Any advice would be appreciated, especially to existing detection circuits.

p.s. I am not interested in letting an IC do this for me, I'm happy to use op amps but i want the circuit as discrete as possible after this.

Nick.

you are correct in ur approach.
Try this : First make an transistor amp ckt to increase i/p level. Then rectify the o/p of the ckt and put a big capacitor filter. And then again put a transistor ckt to make it compatible with microcontroller voltage levels. (I am assuming that u are detecting the presence of the signal using a microcontroller).

one simple transistor amp ckt is shown below :

Simple Microphone Preamplifier

HI

No your approach is not the RMS value.Your idea to make a precision rectifier and flter the signal is a very good start point.

But do not use a large filtering, because of if you do that you are going to decrease frequency response.The output signal of this circuit(precision rectifier and filter) is envelop of the audio signal. I have simulated this circuit in Proteus and it works. If you think you can control your VCA amplifier using the envelop it is a great idea.

Best

Attachments

• VCA.pdf
    15.8 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back