Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fire detection using Laser Range Finder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fel

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am currently having challenge on how to use laser range finder to measure distance to fire source. my worries is, the fire source may neutralise the laser spectrum thereby making the receiver see no reflection.
is there anyway this can be done?
Please i need your help.

"neutralise the laser spectrum" doesn't sound like a plausible technical description. Which object are you targetting with the range finder?

A range finder can have difficulties with strong ambient light, e.g. direct sun exposition of the target. In so far I can imagine that a fire might cause problems, too.

I assume that the ambient light tolerance will be different for different range finder types. Review the specification orask the manufacturer.

I am actually try to use Laser ranger finder to estimate the distance to the fire source, by the word "neutralise". i actually referring absorption laser frequency, when that happen the laser will always see a spread of spectrum not really it transmitted beam. i believe most laser range finders uses reflective and phase difference principle to measure range to target.

"neutralise the laser spectrum" doesn't sound like a plausible technical description. Which object are you targetting with the range finder?

A range finder can have difficulties with strong ambient light, e.g. direct sun exposition of the target. In so far I can imagine that a fire might cause problems, too.

I assume that the ambient light tolerance will be different for different range finder types. Review the specification orask the manufacturer.

Laser finders detect a reflection from a reflective target which a fire is not.
To detect fire on a distance, the best way is a good telescope, or, for day use, an IR camera with an IR lens. There are attempts to detect fire by microwave radiometers but for a good angular resolution one needs a relatively large antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back