Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fanout_Load value of an input in Synopsys DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

giggs11

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi all,

can anyone explain to me how to calculate or determine the fanout_load value for a pin of a std cell library core cell; and the drive strength value of an output?

I know that fanout_load value is important in determining whether the maximum_fanout of an output has been violated. However, how do we determine the most suitable max_fanout value or limit for an output. Can it be calculated...?

As for the drive strength....I knoe drive strength means the total nodal capacitance that can be discharged/charged or driven by an output. But how do we calculate drive strength value...?

Thanks in advance.

every input pin in the library has a load information. add all that connect to one output pin, and you get the fanout_load. set max_fanout_load based on experience, or just use the default value in lib.

drive strengh is a parameter of the output, you do not need to calculate it.

I think you can discard the fanout_load, since it does not need that much attention.
Inside your circuit the compiler can caculate it and deal with it according to the value from the std_cells, for the ports of the design, just estimate.

hi niuniu,

you mentioned that drive strength is a parameter. What is the unit for the parameter...? Is it the total capacitance that can be driven by the output...?

get_attribute fanout_load
drive_of

it is a rate for a standard cell.

you can calcute the fanout load by yourself based on the library information. you can specify a big fanout_load value to save area. but it must meet the timing constrain. if you wanna get high speed performance, the fannout_load value should be small.

you could find these information in vendor lib

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back