Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

explanation of shot noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

benedict_arun

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i saw in one text book tat shot noise means lead shots flowing on metal sheets
but how does this happen in a conductor

The explanation you gave is of the name. There is no such noise in a conductor because of the very large number of charge carriers that move a small distance to cause a current.

In electron devices, the charges move individually across a barrier. This is what causes the variations in current that makes this form of noise.

hi there, i found somthing from wikipedia
Shot noise consists of random fluctuations of the electric current in an electrical conductor, which are caused by the fact that the current is carried by discrete charges (electrons). The strength of this noise increases for growing magnitude of the average current flowing through the conductor. Shot noise is to be distinguished from current fluctuations in equilibrium, which happen without any applied voltage and without any average current flowing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_noise

and i read a book, it said that shot noise occured in the pn junction, when the electron would like to cross the barrier, it doesn't cross the barrier simultanously, so it makes the time delay, and it make the fluctuation in current flow through the junction, is it true?

Status
Not open for further replies.