Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ESP8266 for controlling selenoid door lock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watha

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, I'm new in electric and I'm trying to use ESP8266 for controlling selenoid door lock, as picture attached.

I've checked ESP8266 works fine it could get data from firebase and send data to pin.
But I could not make it works with Selenoid Door Lock.
For battery I used 9v alkaline battery and it did work for selenoid door lock without relay when I checked it out. I've also already tried to replace battery with Adaptor 12V 2A.
I've already tried to use a diode parallel to magnetic locks but still does not work.

Could you please tell me where did the wiring go wrong?

Did it not work because I use 3.3v in ESP8266 as VCC in Relay Module?
Should I add Arduino Uno for Mikrocontroller to get 5v VCC?

[moderator action: removed links to commercial site]

Attachments

• trial2_bb.jpg
    trial2_bb.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 218
Last edited by a moderator:

3.3V is not enough to operate most 5V relays so that is probably where the problem lies. If you are using a nodeMCU board it has a 3.3V regulator on it so you should be able to change to 5V supply for the nodeMCU (use 'Vin' pin) and relay board. The 3.3V output on D7 should still be enough to operate the relay driver board.

I use them here to drive banks of 240V 1.5HP motors so it certainly can work successfully.

Brian.

3.3V is not enough to operate most 5V relays so that is probably where the problem lies. If you are using a nodeMCU board it has a 3.3V regulator on it so you should be able to change to 5V supply for the nodeMCU (use 'Vin' pin) and relay board. The 3.3V output on D7 should still be enough to operate the relay driver board.

I use them here to drive banks of 240V 1.5HP motors so it certainly can work successfully.

Brian.
Hello Brian.

Thanks for your reply.
I've tried to use Vin pin as you've said.
I could hear the "click" sound in relay it means that relay should be working.

But when I change the value in D7 pin, it still does not change the state of door lock.
When I tried to measure the voltage in pin D7, when the value is "HIGH", the voltage measured only 2.67V. Is that why the relay does not work?

I've powered up NodeMCU using USB cable provided plugged in to my Laptop.
I measured the voltage in VCC is around 4.35V.

Do you know what I should do?

Hi,

Try a different USB / a differnt USB supply
Try a different cable

Measure the voltages. Use the setup that gives more close 5.0V.

Klaus

I agree with Klaus. The nodeMCU has a linear regulator on board and the "Vin" pin has a diode in series with it which already drops about 0.5V, if you start with 4.35V then lose that 0.5V you only have 3.85 left to feed the 3.3V regulator, it isn't enough.

Does the lock operate if you short out the contacts on the relay? I mean linking them as though the relay had operated. The lock release on my gates at home needs 2A at 12V so you may need more power for that as well.

Brian.

Hello Claus, I've tried using Adaptor DC 12V as source power and using Lm7805 to get 5Volt for powering up ESP8266.
But it still does not work.
I'll try using another USB and update you later.

I agree with Klaus. The nodeMCU has a linear regulator on board and the "Vin" pin has a diode in series with it which already drops about 0.5V, if you start with 4.35V then lose that 0.5V you only have 3.85 left to feed the 3.3V regulator, it isn't enough.

Does the lock operate if you short out the contacts on the relay? I mean linking them as though the relay had operated. The lock release on my gates at home needs 2A at 12V so you may need more power for that as well.

Brian.
I operate the lock through firebase.
So I send the value of Pin D7 whether it's HIGH or LOW through firebase.

I haven't tried to shortout the contacts, I'll try it first and update you later.

Watha

Just giving an update for this, I switched to 3.3V relay module and it works out fine now.
Thank you all for your kind reply. ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.