Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Emulated EEPROM, using FLASH: Software or Hardware Solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

riscy00

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm reviewing to choose between Hardware based (with implementation that H/W logic do all the work managing data transfer between SRAM and EEPROM while keeping software simple and compact) and Software based (with implementation that S/W is developed to performs this task, especially where most MCU are generous with memory space).

I like to see PDF report or experience to review pro and con between hardware and software solution as emulated EEPROM where NV data is stored within Flash of generic MCU (more likely CORTEX type or Microchip P32). I also interested in ruggedness and flexibility (different size).

I find that Flash program memory is useful for storing long term nonvolatile project information in processors that don't have onboard EEPROM (it also saves having an external EEPROM), i.e. information that once set when the device is commisioned will never change or may be changed every few weeks or months. It does have the disadvantage that when the device is programmed the information is lost. FRAMs, such as the Ramtron FM33256, is useful for infomation that changes every few minutes or seconds such as parameters for a numerically controled machine. It all depends on the application requiremenets.

Thank for the email, I was referring to difference between hardware and software based EEPROM, the pro and con between them.

If the microcontroller has onboard EEPROM I would use that - if not one has the choice of using program flash memory or an external memory, see
**broken link removed**

both EEPROM and program flash memory has limited read/writes - if I am worred about that I use FRAM

have a look at the post
https://www.edaboard.com/threads/207302/#post875134

Status
Not open for further replies.