Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

embedded linux project

Status
Not open for further replies.

LBdgWgt

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello all,

i am a totally beginner in embedded linux world, but i love to learn it. i did a lot of porject with 8/16 bit uCs before.

i have some project offered to make an embedded linux environment which is stored in a 512MB Flash card, and the main requirement is that later on, that a JAVA program (which is before run on Windows) should be able to run on this embedded linux environment.

Is someone now just whether it is possible to do it or not. the project time is 6 months. and maybe good references might help me a lot.

big thanks for any answer

Your Java Program can be run on Embedded linux OS. Before that you need to decide which target board to be used. What are the peripherals it should contain etc ...., Six months time is enough to bring the linux system Up with minimum configuration. If you require more complex hardware support then it takes more time.

--Kiran Jammula

just a question...you want linux to run from a 512 flash-storage?

I think you can do this in 6 month, but why do you want to use java. I think C is good choice for this.

What kind of program, on what kind of platform?

You can run linux from 512Mb flash, but you have to first choose the right flavour, depending on whether the system has a MMU or not, real-time requirements, etc. You also need a Java virtual machine for the platform you are going to run your programs on. It is possible to configure a custom virtual machine, but it takes time, and even more time if one for the general processor platform for your machine isn't available.

A Java program running in Windows is no guarantee that it'll run on an embedded system. Most likely it won't, at least not without modifications. Check out Java micro edition, it's Java for embedded devices and PDA's (like smartphones) and you're far more likely to find a micro edition virtual machine for your platform than you are finding a fully featured one.

This is one of the reasons why C is still widely used as an embedded systems programming language - sturdy C compilers and cross compilers exist for a very wide range of CPU platforms.

In this applications-oriented reference, Doug Abbott shows how to put Linux to work in embedded and real-time applications. Among the topics Abbott discusses include memory management, device drivers, interrupt handling, kernel instrumentation, boatloaders, embedded networking, inter-task communications, periodic vs. "one shot" timing, POSIX threads, hardware abstraction layers, and program debugging. Abbott uses numerous real-world examples to show how implement a variety of embedded applications using Linux. Abbott discusses the strengths and weaknesses for embedded applications of different implementations of Linux, and he also examines the different real-time extensions for Linux. This book incorporates many programming exercises with solutions. All code listings are provided on the accompanying CD-ROM, as well as an electronic version of the text. *Fully describes the use of Linux operating system for embedded and real-time applications *Covers advanced topics such as device drivers, kernel implementation, POSIX threads *The CD accompanying the book [NOT INCLUDED IN DOWNLOAD!!!] includes an electronic version of the book as well as related software tools and code listings

https://www.itebookhome.com/download.asp?id=1398

**broken link removed**

java sucks with real-time applications, JVM versions avaliable are very poor, so go for c if it is possible.

You better switch to embedded c/c++

Hi all.

im using embedded PC with VIA processoer (x86 compatible), 512 MB Compact Flash, and 256 MB RAM. the reason is becuse there is already developed application written in JAVA running on windows.
So do you think the project is feasible?

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.