Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electronic Ballast for both 250W Metal Halide and HPSV Lamps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanath Embedded

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Electronic Ballast

Hi guys,

I am having the 250W Electronic Ballast which can drive both 250W Metal Halide as well as HPSV Lamps. I rily wonder How it could be possible so that same ballast can be used to fire both.

Can anyone help me on this issue.

Regards
Sanath

Electronic Ballast

Is it sugested to drive both lamps with the same ballast by the maufacturer or you have experimented? Basically both bulbs have the similar working proceidure but with difference in the ignition path.

Re: Electronic Ballast

Yes , the Manufacturer claim that this ballast works for both MH & HPSV Lamps. But as I got the information from other sources , like using the MH ballasts for HPSV or HPSV Ballasts for MH lamps wouls decrease the Lamp life & its performance.
Even though the lamp characteristics are similar there is a difference in Ignition phase & Warmup Phase .

Could anyone please let me know how it could be possible to drive both HPSV/ MH using the same Electronic HID Ballast

hi

iam on HPSV lamps dimming, with traditional dimmer, how can i change this to electronic dimmer (igntion type load) with handling of capacitors

Re: Electronic Ballast for both 250W Metal Halide and HPSV L

pschandrareddy said:
hi..iam on HPSV lamps dimming, with traditional dimmer, how can i change this to electronic dimmer (igntion type load) with handling of capacitors
Traditional dimmer? Do you mean to say a circuit similar to a fan dimmer with a triac? ?..But you cannot dimm a Sodium vapour lamp with it..Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.