Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electron mobility - want to calculate K'=u*Cox of mosfet

Status
Not open for further replies.

lionelgreenstreet

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Electron mobility

I'm not sure if this is the right place.....
I want to calculate K'=u*Cox of mosfet...i don't understand why it depends on W and not only on L.....u=Vdrift/e with e=electric field=V/L : if V is the same and L increases, than u increases...but, what is its relationship with W?
Another question: modulation channel parameter depends only on L or also on W?
Thanks

Re: Electron mobility

Cox will definitely depend on the width W of the channel, as the oxide layer cap depends on the cross-sectional area area of the channel under the oxide layer.

I Know:
K'=u*C'ox
with
u=electron mobility [cm^2/V*sec]
C'ox= gate capacitance/unit area [F/cm^2]

K'*W/L=beta

I'm wrong?If no, C'ox not depends on W/L....can you help me?

please look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electron_mobility
Untuitively I would say that the mobility depends on the electric field, which is proportional to V/m (or inversly m/V) and that the speed is m/s, so that you'd have something proportional to m2/Vs

Electron mobility

You are missing something here. Mobility is a constant for small electric fields.You cannot state that u=Vdrift/E.In fact Vdrift=u*E gives a correct meaning that drift velocity is the velocity acquired by electron for unit electric field.
As far as your doubt is concerned, as L increases , E=V/L decreases and as a result Vdrift decreases and thus the ratio Vdrift/E remains constant.
Correct me if i am wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back