Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

electromagnet and high voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxElec

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi to all !
I have air core electromagnet working on 4,5V DC.

What would happen if i pass let say 500V ~ 10 mA thou this electromagnet ( from tesla coil ). Will this make stronger magnetic field ?

ya obviously it would make the electromagnetic field stronger... but if your wire is not resistive enough then 500V may cause some serious damage to it....

MaxElec said:
Hi to all !
I have air core electromagnet working on 4,5V DC.

What would happen if i pass let say 500V ~ 10 mA thou this electromagnet ( from tesla coil ). Will this make stronger magnetic field ?

Somewhat Depends on your Coil, But More Likely it would make a Much WEAKER Magnetic Field.
It isn't the Voltage thats required, Its more the Current flow and the Number of turns on your coil.

I must agree with both answers because am thinking on the same way.

Cuz i can not test it am still confused. It's normal what chemelec has written but am not quite sure that this could be it, because this voltage should increase the magnetic field, regardless of small power ?

MaxElec said:
I must agree with both answers because am thinking on the same way.

Cuz i can not test it am still confused. It's normal what chemelec has written but am not quite sure that this could be it, because this voltage should increase the magnetic field, regardless of small power ?

Well you MAY Apply this High Voltage to the Coil. (500 volts)

But Once you have applied it Across the coil, And if you now MEASURE IT, You will find you NO LONGER HAVE HIGH VOLTAGE.

The Resulting Voltage across the coil Will BE:
** The Resistance of your Coil, Divided by the .01 Amps (10 Ma.) = Volts.

i agree with that but i meant that it would increase if the coil can bear that much current because the coil is gonna have 500V across it if the source is powerful enough to supply that much current.... what i'm trying to say is that we are talking about a ideal source of power here....

A.Anand Srinivasan said:
i agree with that but i meant that it would increase if the coil can bear that much current because the coil is gonna have 500V across it if the source is powerful enough to supply that much current.... what i'm trying to say is that we are talking about a ideal source of power here....

Well IF the 500 volts was also high current, YES it would Increase the Magnetic Field.

BUT Dependiing on the Wire Size and DC Resistance of your coil, it could Draw Hundreds of Amps and Litterly BURN UP INSTANTLY.

However your Initial Question SPECIFIED 500 Volts at 10 mA.

Alternately, Just Keeping that 4.5 Volts and using More Turns of a Heavy Gauge Wire on the coil, Will Also INCREASE The Magnetic Field.
(Assuming the Coils DC Resistance is kept Low to allow for More Current Flow.)

Status
Not open for further replies.