Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

effect of frequency on various devices......

Status
Not open for further replies.

uday mehta

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
actually i want to know that if i fed 52Hz or 55Hz in place of 50Hz in my home supply then my all electronics and electrical systems will damages.
Why? my power, current and voltage are still same....

Most electronics is designed to work with 50Hz or 60Hz. Any frequency in between, or a bit higher will be fine.

No damage should occur but anything using AC motors will run at the wrong speed. Their rotation is dependent on the frequency of the voltage powering them.

Brian.

then why we use specified(50Hz or 60Hz) frequency only. if my load is not only a motor but anythings else like t.v. or refrigerator then what effect will occurs at high frequency.(if i just double the freq.)

There are a few main reasons why AC frequency can matter:
1) Too low of a frequency can cause transformers to saturate
2) If that AC drives an AC motor directly, the motor will only work properly within a certain frequency range
3) Some circuits actually use the AC line as a clock or trigger for other circuitry (many alarm clocks work like this), and changing that frequency may cause them to work improperly.

In general, as long as you're not working with high power AC motors, using a slightly higher frequency than specified (like 60Hz instead of 50Hz) should be fine.

In fact, some people discussed about changing the frequency in Japan last year. In Japan people use 50Hz in east area and 60Hz in west area.
But because of the Fukushima trouble, there was lack of electric power in 50Hz area. So some people planed to send 60Hz AC to east area. But because of the danger, it was not realized.

Status
Not open for further replies.