Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

does PIC micros have better performance in harsh systems and

Status
Not open for further replies.

7rots51

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Does PIC micros have better performance in harsh systems and noisy systems than AVR atmega series?

many of people that work with PIC claim that PIC is very better than AVR in noisy and harsh systems!

What is your opinion and experience?

Re: does PIC micros have better performance in harsh systems

i did a design of a printer one time that was produced in large numbers ..and used a pic for the power managment .and analog functions ..And in winter time .because of static eletricity .this printers were failing..A big mess

really ?

Used a PIC in a mass-product 100K+ and the only thing I have seen is the Power On Reset Problem. You need to enable BOR (Brown Out Reset) to make a reliable system using EEPROM. In my case this was not possible since BOR is using 80uA and that is to much for battery powered applications. My power consumption is now 23uA and reliable start-up due to WDT and some tricks.

I know that the Senseo from Philips (inside information) used a PIC also but they have switched to a clone due to high cost :)... Every cent is counting !.

please compare PIC to AVR in industerial application performance and reliability?

which one is better in your experience?

Hi, I do not think that anyone here has done a study which chip is better in Industry. Try to see if there is a Thesis about this issue !. You can also look who has the biggest market share in Industry and Automotive !. I think both perform equally well under the same conditions. Chips with higher density are more sensitive compared to lower densities so better take a chip with lower density and higher voltage levels. I also think that software is a much bigger issue compared to the chip you want to use. Select a chip with a large temperature range and design your hardware + PCB well and you will stay away from problems.

My boss (15+ years of experience) claims they are more robusthan AVR. Our products are often subjected to a harsh enviroment and even lightning. Me - I don't have any experiences with AVR, so I can't tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.