Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Does anyone have experience with AWR EM simulations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Algregious

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I am attempting to simulate one project with a spiral inductor and a parallel plate capacitor and another project with a split ring resonator. Currently, I’ve been using AWR’s planar MoM electromagnetic simulator, Axiem.
Does anyone have tips for constructing these types of simulations? I am trying to obtain graphs of phase angle, impedance, S11, and S12.
My issues are that I don’t completely understand how to use the ports and how to ground them. I think I’ve figured out how to properly set up the dielectric and conductor properties as well as their layout in the plane. I can provide further details if needed.

I have experiences on AXIEM. The Ports are grounded or left floating in different manners.Look at Ports Chapter in help.
Normally Ports are grounded straightly to GND layer by trans-passing underneath layers.You have to decide which port type will you use.
If you send me project file ( archived) I can inspect it..

I have experiences on AXIEM. The Ports are grounded or left floating in different manners.Look at Ports Chapter in help.
Normally Ports are grounded straightly to GND layer by trans-passing underneath layers.You have to decide which port type will you use.
I have attached the project archive file. [Text deleted by moderator] Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

What I am trying to achieve is an accurate model of how the inductor and parallel plate capacitor will interact with each other in an EM field. The project I've attached models the inductor and capacitor separately and also together in a sub-circuit schematic layout.
After inspecting the phase angle and impedance of the components separately, we don't really have confidence that the combined model is giving a correct analysis.

Another question I have is whether Axiem can actually model the capacitor correctly. I ask this because, to my understanding, Axiem models dielectrics as infinite planes so it would cover the bottom plate and electrode; however, in our real-world model, the electrode is actually exposed while the plate is under the substrate which the top layer and top electrode lay on.
I have attached the .emz file zipped, so it should actually attach. Above, I've also quoted more context to the issue at hand.

Again, many thanks.

Attachments

• Variable_LC_Archive.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 131

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back