Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Do I need to know C/C++ for programming 80196?

Status
Not open for further replies.

misha82

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi
these days i m trying to learn programming in assembly language for 80196. but i m facing a lot of problems. i m using IAR workbench tool. i want to know is it nessecary to know C or C++ to learn programming for 16 bit microcontroller.
i have worked on 8051 before.
pls help me
thanx

Re: 80196

196 ?? wow log time no see .... Listen the more complex the processor the higher level of language you need to be efficient .This days the cpus are very fast so you can accept a lot of not optimazed code traded by instead a quick development .Who cares how fast you can turn on a LED . So sooner or later you will have to go C .Why not start now .And be more efficient overall .

Re: 80196

The best way to learn 80196 programming very quickly and efficiently is using an Emulator.There are lots of ICEs(in circuit emulator)on the web the famous one is project 96 you can find here www.phyton.com/htdocs/downloads.shtml or you can implement yor own trainer yourself .There are also lots of simulators on the web.

For 16bit I suggest you go for C cross compiler. Normally for 16 and above CPUs are C language optimized so take advantage of C.

Status
Not open for further replies.