Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

do different trim pots have different sensitivity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kninja

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
So I recently bought an LM317 based regulator kit to use as part of a cheap variable power supply (combined with switchable DC power supply), **broken link removed** is the specific kit.

I'm having trouble in that I cannot get the voltage to be exactly 3v, the sensitivity / resolution on the trim pot is not fine enough, it jumps from ~2.2v to ~3.6v with the smallest adjustment i can make. So I'm wondering, can i replace the trimpot with a different one to get a more fine grained control?

Are you sure about that, have any ideal how may turns your trimpot is? You can change it for sure, but you probably going to have some footprint mismatch problem. Did you test it under some load? As far as i remember LM317 needs some minimum current to work, but i might be wrong.

Cya

Yeah i played with it for like half an hour... the pot only makes about a 3/4 turn from min to max...

Just tested it with a multimeter, should i try hooking it up to the circuit?

Hi
Yes you can replace the trimpot for a multi turn type with the
same resistance value.If you can not read the value of the trimpot , take it out
and measure the value with your multimeter.

Best

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back