Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DLL bias voltage unstable when adding capacitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanmei

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
My DLL input signal is 100MHz (10nS), and it has ten delay stages, with each stage delays 1nS. The delay stage is a basic current starving architecture with a pmos and nmos current source to control the current.

The top architecture is shown in the bellowing figure:

1.jpg

The control voltage at Vc, VBP, and VBN are shown in the bellowing figure:

2.png

I want to reduce the spikes at VBP and VBN, so I add a 10pF capacitor on node VBP and VBN respectively, but the control voltage starts to oscillate as shown in the bellowing figure. Then I changed the 10 pF capacitor filter to low pass filter (a 10kHz resisor and a 10pF capacitor), which still presents big swing on the control nodes.

3.png

I have several questions:

1. Why it is oscillating by adding a capacitor on the bias nodes?
2. Should the DLL be unconditional stable?
3. If it is not unconditional stable, what should I to to prevent oscillation? Any formula to design those parameters?

Thanks.

You have a type 2 system. With one integrator from charge pump and the other from VCO. You need to add a zero. Place a resistor in series with capacitor after the charge pump. The zero location should be within the unity gain bandwidth of your open loop response.

Thanks. It is DLL, not PLL, no VCO in the loop, so I think there is one integrator from the charge pump and loop filter.

There was one, until you added those shunt caps to
the current mirrors for VBN/VBP. Now you have two.
Or really, three (but VPB, 2 and VBN, 3). So your
P and N currents can go out of whack when slewing,
and the DLL & phase detector have to chase that
and bring it back around (perhaps late, perhaps never).

Status
Not open for further replies.