Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DIY Spectrum analyzer using tv tuner

Status
Not open for further replies.

nagaya

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
is there any way to build a Spectrum analyzer using tv tuner?(if it's possible with pci tv card it'll be much easier)
I googled but couldn't find a good schematic :(

yes it is possible I built one a numbr of years ago (during the 90's )
you used it in conjunction with an oscilloscope.
worked quite well. remember it wont be calibrated but it does give you an indication of the signals and their relative strengths across the part of spectrum you are looking at.

standard TV tuner VHF low band ~ 40 - 100MHz, VHF hi band ~ 130 - 250MHz
and UHF ~ 400 - 700MHz
and if you add a sat tuner to the system you could also get ~ 900 -2000MHz

it was a project in an australian electronics magazine (no longer published)

I have moved country since those days and unfortunately dont have the cct any more :(

Dave
VK2TDN

Ahhh now there's some good stuff :)

first 2 links were some of the ones from that other useless site hahaha

the last 3 are right on the money !!! well done

nagaya .... If you are still reading the topic you started
have a look at those last 3 links Keith posted the last 2 links are to a project
in 2 parts in .pdf format. That should give you something to play with :)

I dont need a Spec an personally tho the one I have is now way too low in freq
for the bands I have been playing on lately haha
currently have a Tek 2715 goes to 1.9GHz but really need something that covers at least the 10GHz ham band and would be nice to cover the 24GHz band that I have just built gear for see https://www.sydneystormcity.com/24GHz.htm for some of my activities

hopefully he remembers to thanks you :)

cheers
Dave
VK2TDN

I have an 18GHz one I don't use but it would be rather expensive to ship to Australia - I think it weighs 30kg! Agilent offered me a good part exchange price for it against a new one, but I bought R&S instead. Maybe I ought to try selling it.

Keith

If you ever want to donate it to a worth cause Keith, let me know. I'll come grovelling to your doorstep :D

Mine is a rather ancient Anritsu but it only stretches to 2GHz, just a bit short of where most of the signals are I need to check. Like yours, it weighs a ton, I think they must use concrete resonators for stability!

Brian.

It's an HP141. I have a 100MHz plug in for it as well but I am not sure that bit works well. If you have ever used the 141 you will know they are not the slickest kit around although highly regarded for quality. As I recall, once you get above 2GHz or so you have to be careful to check that any signals are where you think they are and not images. There is a switch which displace the signal by 1 division and 10dB for doing that. If the signal moves 2 divisions, for example, then it is an image.

If I decide to get rid of it I will let you know. I bought and FSL3 and kept the HP 'just in case' but I cannot see me using it again.

Keith

Hi Keith,
Do you have pls the plug In up to 1.2GHz too?
K.

Tnx,
These is my "problem" too...
K.

Tnx,
I know it too_& such others designed from radio amateurs in the States, Germany & Franche up to 1...2.5GHz...
My "problem" means; I have a 141T set, but missed is the band of 1-1200MHz & a tracking gen too
For these band I become from a friend for acceptable price, a moderner HP SA, but their switches are not reliable_ & the old set is not complete...
K.

Has anyone found software to use a DVB tuner - its got to be the easiest.

Im bulding a SA as per VHF manual - mid 90's using tv tuner (U321) and putting a mixer for 0-300 in front of it using mar3 and slb1.
Any thoughts

GD6ICR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back