Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

divide the clock frequency by 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanthanayaki

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all.

Can anyone tell a way to design a circuit that can divide the clock frequency by 2.
I am using XOR gate but cannot get it right.

Shantha

The foolproof way is to have a memory element. Take a D flip flop and feed the Qnot to the D input. Clock it from your original clock source. Q will be at half the frequency.

Hi,
But that is the clk divider by 2, and the frequency is divide by 2. We want here the frequency multiplier right. Somehow I am confused between the 2 circuits.
Shantha

Added after 19 minutes:

Hi,
I am sorry, I rephrase the question, simple circuit based on combinational logic to double the output frequency.
Shantha

With EXOR and inverter chain to make a delay

----Delay(1/4*original period)---- input 1 EXOR
--------------------your signal------ input 2 EXOR

There are two dangers to avoid.

One is the minimum required new clock pulse width being violated by your circuit. The delay element controls this width. If you are making a board type design you can use LC delay lines for this function.

The other is that your original clock should be a square wave. Otherwise the new clock pulses will not be uniformly spaced. Unequal spacing can cause problems.

A simple T-type (count) trigger divide input frequency by 2 !

why dont you try some frequency multiplier circuits using PLL ic.

this entire thing about using a combo block to multiply the frequency is a myth. nobody in real-world uses these circuits.

flatulent:One is the minimum required new clock pulse width being violated by your circuit. The delay element controls this width. If you are making a board type design you can use LC delay lines for this function.
i can't understand it very well.could you explain it particular?

Delay of signal ---> Like Group delay--> d phase/dw of a filter/system

Hi
I am Dinesh. I am new member.
For doubling the frquency
module freq_doub(q,clk);

input clk;
output q;

not #5 (o1, clk); (1/4 of clk)== delay
not #5 (o2,o1);

xor(q,o2,clk);

endmodule

use a D filpflop and connect the previous clock on tne flipflop's clock the inout D is feedback by Qbar. the new clock is Q

using flop can avoid the glitch.

The problem is the original poster, Shantha, probably wanted a frequency
doubler, but he posted "divide by 2". That caused a lot of confusion.
Shantha, please make yourself clear. I assume you want to double
the frequency, not divide.
Regards,
S. H.

In real time for multiplying frequency use pll .. thats the better way to multiply the frequency....

always @(posedge clk or negedge rst_n) begin
if (~rst_n)
clk_div2 <= #1 1'b0;
else
clk_div2 <= #1 ~clk_div2;
end

best regards

Shanthanayaki said:
Hi all.

Can anyone tell a way to design a circuit that can divide the clock frequency by 2.
I am using XOR gate but cannot get it right.

Shantha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back