Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Digital PID controller design in transistor level

Status
Not open for further replies.

anamika.saha

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I have to design a discrete PID controller based digital low dropout regulator (LDO). I am familiar with the theory of PID controller. However, I am confused about the implementation in transistor level. Can anyone please help me on this issue?

Thanks,
Anamika

Basically you need three blocks: linear gain(P); an integrator(I), and a differentiator(D). Once you figure out how to implement each of those blocks with transistors you can tie them all together to create your controller.

Most LDO feedback amplifiers are PI rather than PID. Basic problem is that the controller must be aware of a wide range of possible load impedances, PI parameters are not optimized for a specific "control process" but for worst case conditions. A D term would reduce the stability margin with varying load impedance.

Do you actually mean digital PID? Not sure how you imagine the transistor level implementation of a digital PI or PID controller. It involves at least ADC, DAC and an arithmetic core, either a sequential processor or dedicated parallel numeric processing unit. Asking for the transistor level is identical to ask for recent analog and digital ASIC technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back