Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Difference between simple cascode current source and modified Wilson current source

Status
Not open for further replies.
mos wilson current mirror output resistance

hi all
i read that wilson current offers stable current values for wide voltage swings and enhanced output impedance.

cascode mirrors bjt

wilson current mirror is used over cascode mirror in order to increase the o/p swing.the trade off is imperfect mirroring in wilson as vds is not same for the lower transistors.

wilson current mirror improved

avinash said:
wilson current mirror is used over cascode mirror in order to increase the o/p swing.the trade off is imperfect mirroring in wilson as vds is not same for the lower transistors.

hi, avinash
I do not get why you said for wilson vds is not the same. I think for both cascode and wilson, voltage in the gate of M3 and M4 is 2Vt+2Vsat, and the vds of the lower transistors M1 and M2 in both case is Vt+Vsat. Isn't it?

improved wilson current mirror analysis

hi
,i think for compare two current source you focus in output impedance & minimum voltage requires to operate as current source in same bias conditions.
the minimum voltage requires to operate a current source for both is vT+2.VDSAT.
the output impedance for cascode current source is
RO=(rds(down).(1+gm(up).rds(up)))+rds(up)
the output impedance for wilson current mirror is
Ro=((1/gm(down)).(1+gm(up).rds(up)))+rds(up)
as result :
the output impedance of cascode current source is greater than output impedance of wilson current source .
thanks
farhad

Status
Not open for further replies.