Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

difference between gsm900 and gsm1800

Status
Not open for further replies.

sorang363

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to know their difference and not their spectrum difference please.

GSM 1800 is used in crawded areas like city centers,its antenna height is less than GSM900.

Hello,
As we know, free space radio propagation varies with frequency.
The more the frequency is low, the further a signal will travel, so GSM900 does give larger cell sizes for the same output power in open areas.

Also, the lower frequency GSM900 also has a higher wavelength and does tend to propagate better through buildings. This does mean that to achieve the same coverage a GSM1800 operator will need to build more cellsites than a GSM900.
cheers.
EMG

Why mobile operator move from GSM900 to GSM1800? Is only the cell size and the coverage only the reason for moving into the GSM 1800?

zio_nneo said:
Why mobile operator move from GSM900 to GSM1800? Is only the cell size and the coverage only the reason for moving into the GSM 1800?

NO, instead the frequency allocation authorities (different names in different countries) provide them frequencies; there is a chance that in country, they don't have slots in 900 MHZ band so they give in 1.8Ghz.

Naveed

Hi,

In addition to what have been said before, the output power the MS needs to emit is lower in DCS1800 compared to GSM900. (PCL5 in GSM900: 33dBm, PCL0:30dBm in DCS1800).

Question :

how does GSM1800 can accomodate more subscribers ? (or does it accomodate more subscribers ? )

Hi

Because the DCS frequency band (75MHz: from 1710-1785 in UL and 1805-1880 in DL) is wider than EGSM900 band (35MHz: 880.0 - 915.0MHz in UL and 925.0 - 960.0MHz in DL).

I hope this helps.

RFCMOS

How I will know about all these? Is there any detailed article or book where I know?

thanx

y does higher frequencies travel a much shorter distance as compared to lower frequencies.

higher frequencies tend to loose energy faster and face more resistance in their paths.

my question is y ?

the reason that comes to my mind is that they change from crest to trough much more rapidly and are closely spaced.

can anyone tell me if there is anything else to add ? or if im correct

I want to know their difference and not their spectrum difference please.
Report msg +5pts

I think the difference lies in the availability of the spectrum. The spectrum resources are seen for a technology use....

-Sidd

Answer of Question Below:
y does higher frequencies travel a much shorter distance as compared to lower frequencies?

Ans.

As u know the relation

c=f * wavelength

c/f=wavelength

meaning high frequency will have lower wavelength.
also we know that

wavelength=v*t

meaning lower the wavelength lower will be the velocity.or indirectly higher the frequency lower will be wavelength and lower will be its velocity.

and from another relation

S=v*t

lower the velocity lower will be th distance travelled.

if u get the point plz press th button helped me :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back