Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Difference between gm/id method and Vov design method

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkdlek93

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to know the difference between gm/id and Vov method when designing amplifier.
And why use the gm/id method.

As far as I know, there are three aspects.
1. Available for low power designs.
2. Gm, id, L, and w of input Mosfet pair can be found more systematically at specified power and speed performance.
3. Use gm/id because it is difficult to model with Vov when using mosfet in a weak inversion area.

Am I right?
Also, I would appreciate it if anyone could tell me why people use the gm/id method.

If you have a map between given parameter nad bias point you can use whatever you want, as long as your base is a physical model. If your model is loussy than no matter which method you will use - both gives your wrong results.

I think one important aspect, perhaps not as important as the other mentioned but still, is that the gm/Id method is more direct. Both gm and Id directly describe something in the circuit compared to Vov which in itself doesn't really say much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back