Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Difference between Exponential and Logarithmic as applied to Audio Frequency & Volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

juz_ad

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Difference between Exponential and Logarithmic as applied to Audio Frequency & Volume

I'm trying to understand the differences/similarities between the Exponential curve that represents a controlled change in Frequency and the Logarithmic curve that represents a controlled change in Volume.

My understanding is that the human ear responds to changes in Frequency in an Exponential manner. e.g. In Voltage-Controlled synths using the 1V Oct standard an increase of 1 Volt CV causes a doubling of Frequency. This is easy to plot on a graph and I've seen equations to express it.

For a change in Volume, Amplitude or Attenuation using a potentiometer, it is recommended to use a Pot with a Logarithmic curve. I've seen this curve plotted (**broken link removed** for example) and it has a similar shape to an Exponential Frequency curve - but I can't remember seeing an equation to express this or any discussion of the differences/similarities between these two curve types - Frequency and Amplitude.

Are they different? What are the differences? I hope this question makes sense - I have Googled this a few times now but I've not found an answer that is clear and specific to audio.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Re: Difference between Exponential and Logarithmic as applied to Audio Frequency & Vo

Both sound pressure ("power") and frequency perception are linear on a logarithmic scale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back