Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

difference between class s and class d amplifier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanmukh

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
class s amplifier

what is the difference between a class s amplifier and a class d amplifier?

amplifier class s

I doubt, if class S is a commonly used technical term, while class D obviously is. In some sources, class S is used as a more general term for any switching amplifier and class D is designating amplifiers that utilize PWM. But there may be other definitions, too.

class-s amplifier

can we say that class-d amplifier is a type of class-s amplifier?
the reason why i am asking so is that in my course book it has been mentioned
"CLASS-D AND CLASS-S OPERATION"

class s amplifiers

can we say that class-d amplifier is a type of class-s amplifier
This understanding can be found in some literature. In contrast, another version is using class-S in particular for PWM amplifiers.

Personally, I wouldn't use it, cause I don't think that class-S is a common understood technical term. Some authors don't even mention it.

Is the term class-S explained in your course book anyhow?

P.S.: I reviewed some additional literature and came to this conclusion:
- In audio applications, a modulated (PWM, SD) switch-mode amplifier is usually designated class D.

- The same technique is often called class-S (S for "switched") in RF applications. I don't see a difference to the above class-D definition.

- In RF field, the term class-D has been previously used for saturated (switched) push-pull PA with unmodulated carrier.

Generally, there's an inflation of amplifier classes in audio applications. Classes G, H, I have been already invented, can you beat it?

Class-S is also called Class E in some papers
Class E is soft switching
while Class D is hard switching

Status
Not open for further replies.