Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Diference betwin PicKit2 and PicKit Serial Analiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADRENALIN2003

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
pickit serial analyzer

Does anybody knows is there hardware difference between these two? Can I use PikKit2 as PicKit Serial Analyzer. I have look user guide but I think that microchip lie pretty much about everything, so maybe the difference is lie too.

pickit serial analyzer clone

The description on the Microchip site is very straight, there will be no doubt if you read the pages: PICKIT2 is a PIC programmer (with some additional features) and the PICKIT SERIAL ANALYZER is a tool to test serial communications protocols (I2C, SPI, Microwire, LIN, USART). Both use a PIC microcontroller inside as a part of hardware, this can explain the similarity in the names.

pickit serial

Yes, yes I now that. I was asking is it possible that the hardware in these two are the same, look closely, they have inputs on the same pins, because PicKit2 can be used as logice state analyzer, in the tool menue of PicKit2 programmer PC aplication, there is that option, also as a UART tool. That is why I ask is it the same inside. I try to download Pic SA flash in my PicKit2 and it didn't work, but it is possible that it is because the difference of boot loader. I didn't try to flash complete flash with external programmer.
Have anybody try that?

pickit2 serial analyzer

I found the answer. It is not possible. These two devices are basecly the same. I found the schematic of PicKit2 here
**broken link removed**
and for Serial Analyzer here
**broken link removed**
U can see that there are many, but small, differences. However there is not possible to just flash PikKit with Serial Analyzer firmware and viceversa! Because of similar construction it is possible to write your own firmware and then use PikKit hardware as Serial Analyzer software. Only thing that is problem here is that PikKit has Vpp out pin, and that pin cannot be used as input, so we are 1 signal short. Maybe good idea is to build yourself any of these two. Microchip left complete schematic and firmware so u can clone bout of them. If u can't by them for any reason that is solution.

Last edited by a moderator:

betwin

They are different enough, that none can be used in place of the other or a circuit combining both could be easily designed. Microchip obviously found it more important to achieve a minimum retail price rather than considering the option of merging both designs.

Status
Not open for further replies.