Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Designing an ring oscillator + buffer question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin Wenger

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I was designing a 5-stage CMOS ring oscillator + 2 stage buffer on Pspice,

I want to make the output frequency to 1GHz, and I chose to make every Transistor Legnth L = 0.2um

So I decided to change the W of every transistors to get the 1GHz frequency, and made the ring oscillator's transistor width Wn = 7um, Wp = 22um(Since Wp:Wn = 3:1)

But when I tried to make 1GHz frequency, I had to make the W of stage buffer transistor sooo big (more than 600um) and I realized it was too big for layout.

Is there a way to get 1GHz without making the width of stage buffer too big?

Attachments

• 11.png
    11.png
    62.3 KB · Views: 244

why do you have to drive 1pF? decrease your load cap.
and increase supply voltage if your devices can tolerate higher VDD

What do you want for output swing and Zload? A RF chain would not want rail-rail except maybe for LO drive of a.mixer quad. You could assert a lighter load for on chip only. You could declare a lesser signal swing and demand the PLL guy bring his own input buffer. Like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back