Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Design issue Serial Comm. Isolator with Level shifting

Status
Not open for further replies.

geobabu

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
4n35 baud

Hi,
I am trying to implement a isolation in between a serial communication system. One side its have a RS232-TTL(MAX232 circuit) level terminal & other side contains a 3.3V based microcontroller whose power is directly driven from a transformer less capacitor based power supply. I tried a setup a circuit that mentioned in the attached file ,but it doesn't helped helped me. Please help me to rectify the error in this circuit.
Thanks&Regards,
Geo

Um, I am not quite sure I understand your issue. Answer a couple of simple questions:

1.. The 3.3V on the right hand side of the schematic is coming from a transformerless power source. (YES/NO)

2.. I (HAVE/HAVE NOT) a 5V DC source to power the stuff on the left hand side of the isolators.

Answer those and then I can give you some choices that WILL work.

John

As one issue, R5 must be reduced to e.g. 1k to allow circuit operation.

Hi...Thanks for the replies...

@jdtoronto
Yes, the 3.3V is generating from a transformerless power supply.
The Left hand side VCC is generating from a 5VDC Power supply.

So I think we need to isolate both sides inorder to share the data. I tried with the circuit. But I didnt get any data. The communication is happening in 57.6Kbps baud rate. One thing is , when I placed a CRO(for testing I used an isolated 3.3V supply) prob across the C-E pin of 4N35 in the Rx part (Also in RXD line), I can see some Sq.waves according to the Key press in the other terminal. This made me more confused.

@FvM
I will try with 1K.

Thanks& Regards,
Geo

4N35 with 10K load resistor is possibly too slow for 57 kBaud. You may want to check the operation at a lower speed first or carefully adjust the LED source and transistor load resistors.

Status
Not open for further replies.