Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Design a USB1.1 to FLASH controler ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elone

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Have no sense about it , need help ! Any suggestion is wellcom !

Can you describe your need in detail?
what flash application?

!

Like popular usb2flash controlor used in U-disk, like OTi6808 !

FTDI have an example flash card reader using their own usb chip and a pic micro.
You can find it on their website.
Also ST micros have an example using their micro with usb interface.

if u just want to make a home-made one, any mcu w/ usb if is ok. but if u want to have the pro one, some additional logic is necessary like sector buffer, ecc circuit, flash interface etc. cypress provides a develop kit to those who plan to realize their own idea on this disk. it may be a good start point to u.

The easiest solution is to use this Prolific PL-2315 USB1.1 Portable Flash Disk Controller: www.prolific.com.tw/fr_pl2315.htm
You can also use the new Prolific PL-2515 USB2.0 Portable Flash Disk Controller.

You can find datasheets, user manuals, drivers etc. here: **broken link removed**
The site is not well-organized, the easiest is to use the download link or use the search function and search for 2315 or 2515.

Prolific homepage: www.prolific.com.tw/fr_products.htm

!

Thanks everybody ! I means design a ASIC of this controller and how did i start the work !

Designing the ASIC is not the most important stuff, actually it's the rather easy one in this product. You just have to get a 8/16-bit MCU (8051 is the most popular one used in this kind of ASIC), then design your USB I/F, sector buffer management, Flash device interface and ECC circuits. Besides, you have to study the FTL (Flash translation layer) documents regarding to how to manage the logical to/from physical addressing translation. Smart media related documents is a great starting point. For the open source, finding the MTD of linux is a another way. As to the USB portion, you are able to getting related docuemnt from usb org's web site. All above informations are free, and open. Some source code examples are also available in the cypress's web site, but it's in assemble one. I'm also studying this topic right now, if you feel good, lets share these with each other. But one more thing has to be said at first, the M-system held the USB storgae petent, it may cause prolems in the future if you want to make commerial.

Hi Vsop;
Could you list the link for useful information about this field?
I need this information to make SD and MMC card. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back