Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC DC converter problem with cct and shootky diode

Status
Not open for further replies.

danesh

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
dc dc converter

recently i built a dc dc converter which will regulate the output to 13.8V. i found that my pnp transistor had open cct and my shootky diode is shorted, after vithe cct went through vibration. Do any one have any solution y these failures occurs

Re: dc dc converter

hi, ur description is too rough to help.
what is ur Vin ? step-down or step up? what topology u used?

i have used buck config.... vin is 13.8. i would like to knw how often a transistor gets fail in dc dc converter and what might contribute to it

Hi danesh,

Can you post the circuit and some output/input data, it might be easier to find the problem for you?

The problem can be self oscillation.

Ante

danesh said:
recently i built a dc dc converter which will regulate the output to 13.8V. i found that my pnp transistor had open cct and my shootky diode is shorted, after vithe cct went through vibration. Do any one have any solution y these failures occurs

i have used buck config.... vin is 13.8. i would like to knw how often a transistor gets fail in dc dc converter and what might contribute to it

in buck, Vout=D*Vin, so Vout < Vin,
but ur spec is Vin=13.8 =Vout, so ur D=100%.... , don't u feel strange ?
it's not a SMPS, it's direct short of Vin and Vout ??? [/quote]

As folks mentioned some more info would help, so that we have all of the following

Vin
Vout
Filter Inductor?
Filter Cap?
Load?

Off the top of my head, do you have a resistor in series with the base? ( Assuming you're using a bipolar )

Is the device rated for the currents and voltages you expect ( peaks, rms )? How much current and voltage can it handle?

Is it possible the required load current is destroying your devices?

Actually, I guess I asked the same question in 3 different ways, but you get my idea I hope!

^-^

We look forward to more info, so we can help!

Status
Not open for further replies.