Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC balun phenomena question

yefj

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello , I notied an intresting thing in the lab:)
I got a single ended +15V DC Volts from my signal generator.
When i used a splitter (banana)
i saw that the difference between the splitted lines is 30V :) +15 -15 V
So i got a DC balun from this DC splitter device.
But how its possible?
We cant have unbalalced to balance transition in DC .baluns are familiar in RF.
In DC capacitors and inductors have no meaning.
Is there some pure resistor configuration i could try and buid on a breadboard to see if i will get balun out of it?
Thanks.

Your post sounds like you applied only DC to the device. Did that start AC ringing in the device? Did it continue long enough to measure? There are ways to arrange an inductor & capacitor so that you get an increase in amplitude of their resonant frequency.

Did your waveform generator contribute to create some kind of amplifying loop at the resonant frequency or any frequency?

You can get bipolar AC from single-ended DC...

Example, by taking from the Q and not-Q outputs of an oscillating flip-flop. Apply those (only the outputs) to a speaker and in effect the speaker receives true AC with no DC component.

Example, by bridging across the outputs (only the outputs) of two op amps, each out-of-phase with the other.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: